Thursday, April 10, 2008

1939 District Basket Ball Champions Nelliston School

The champion team of Nelliston N.Y., School 1939 undefeated
I have no idea of who we played against but we were the undefeated champions in Basket Ball for the 1939 season:
front row: Robert Nellis, Arnold Osborn, Paul Loedwick, Robert March, Art Davis

second row: Donald Gross, Victor Eckler, Albert Waufel, Robert Lord, John Guet

not only are they the basket ball team but they are the whole 7th and 8th grade body of male students, I think there were 6 girls in the combined 7th and 8th grades.

The Nelliston school at the time was under the control of Mr Bowerman, he taught the 7th and 8th grade. also coach and Athletic director. This school was attended by 5 generations in my family. The photos I have from the 1900's show the interior class room walls to have remained the same for nearly 100 years. The school housed 8 grades , two grades to each room. On the first floor the wall between the 5th and 6th grade and the 7th and 8th grade slid on a track so it could be opened, for special combined classes or entertainment.

1 comment:

Rosebud Collection said...

It is funny, but where you were raised, reminds me of home..My dad was a 4 letter man..When he graduated there were 6 people in his class..when I graduated we had 63 and that was the largest class at that time..Life goes on and it isn't that way anymore..Love the picture. You know, I think that is why I enjoy your blog so much..love the stories and pictures and most of all, reminds me of home..