Monday, May 5, 2008

Mom How'd you Get so Smart

I think mom's are born with a 6th sense of knowledge of what their children are doing regardless of distance between them.

I was a only child, so my mother and I were pretty close, I am sure I did some bad things, but nothing that ever caused her embarrassment, or reason to be upset or ashamed. Times were a little different in the 30 and 40's, things I did would be terrible today, I was driving a car at 14, while in school I had trap line so carried a gun to school, kept it in the locker, but these things were not bad then. I even smoked a cigarette in 7th grade, how bad can you be.

Probably the one thing I thought I could get away with follows:

Called for service U S Air Force April 1944 there was several bad days of crying, then in May 7th 1945 I came home on leave for two weeks. Spent the time celebrating fall of Germany, with my mom and my girl friend June Vosburgh.
I went back to Sheppard Field, Texas to be shipped somewhere in
the world. While home I convinced my girl friend might be good
idea to get married if we could arrange it. Called home from Texas
and asked parents if they would come to see me before I was
shipped out and maybe they could bring June, by now june and my
parents were all very close. [My dad was in on our plans] so you guessed it the three of them came to Whicata Texas for a week. We had a great time, the hotel they stayed at was full of cockroaches, the maids came around everyday and dusted around the bed-my poor mother was not used to this. Being from the north to have a roach was questionable about how good a housekeeper you were. [I live in Florida now so am very used to them]
Getting away from my mother was a problem, she wanted to be with us every minute, finally got my dad to take her to a movie she had wanted to see, this gave June and
me time to get our friends together and get to the church. Texas laws were
great, every requirement could be "fixed" 3 day waiting period for a license make an exception-blood test cut that back to one hour. They tried to be accommodating. anyway we got to the church and the ceremony only took few minutes, plenty of time to get to the theater to met my parents.

"What wondrous web we weave when we set out to deceive"

this took place on 2 July 1945, and a few days later it was time for them to go back, This was very hard for both my mother and June.

Things were going good, for about 3 weeks, then I came down with pneumonia, so went to hospital ,was their when Japan surrendered on August 14. Two weeks
later I was released from hospital , a week later was picked up unconscious and taken back in a coma. Then on 14 Sep 1945 Col McMillan head of the Shepard Field hospital sent a telegram to my wife, "your husband Cpl Robert Lord Sick recovery doubtful". She called my mother, told her I was sick, Mom was really upset and called Shepard Field, they confirmed my condition. No one in family could understand why they had notified June instead of my parents----apparently they did not read the telagram
My father and mother actually got a plane ticket but were bumped off in St Louis,Mo. and had to complete the trip by train. June called her uncle Earnest Spencer, whom had brought her up. He picked her up and they flew to Shepard. When they arrived, I am still in a coma and lashed down to the bed.They tell me I had grabbed Col McMillan and threw him over the foot of the bed. The same day everyone arrived, Col Pitchert m d and his nurse, Hazel Albie arrived from south Pacific , he was assigned my case.
Some 5 years earlier my father had the same condition in Albany
Medical Center, so the doctor asked to change my treatment, in
3 days I began to wake up-within a week was able to set up a few
minutes and eat. It was time for my Dad and Earnie Spencer,
Junes Uncle and June to leave.
On the floor was a WAC Dorthy Platt, she took over the care of my mom, got her set up in the Guest House and made sure there was a extra tray each meal for her. My mother stayed 8 weeks by then I was up and around. No one has mentioned marriage, but June and I know when I come home it has to be resolved. That time arrived mid December with a 21 day furlough.
Picked June up in New Jersey, sent telegram home "please met 4:25 train have something to tell everyone" It was a long train ride.
[just a short note June's mother had died when she was young and Earnest and Edna brought her up, Earnie was about 20 years her senior a quiet kind man, Edna was loud and abrasive no one put anything over on her.]

When we got off the train my mother was their big smile with eyes that looked like she had been peeling onions for a week. Her first words were "you are married aren't you" That broke the ice,
I know my father did not tell her. how did she get to be so smart.
Could not figure out why she had been crying then dad said she just could not go to the Spencer house. So it was June my father and I that delivered the marriage tale- how different if I had not been sick .

Later thanks to doing genealogy work I found out that my mother and father had done a very similar thing, their families lived in Nelliston,N.Y. but were married in Albany N.Y. but that is another story-




2 comments:

Rosebud Collection said...

What a wonderful story..Just great..
I always remember when they blew whistles/sirens because the war was over, but it was a false alarm..it didn't happen till two or three days later.

weechuff said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your story. Thank you:0) I hope you don't mind if I return often to catch up on your blog.

Sandie (weechuff)