Thursday, January 15, 2009

snow couple of the 1940's

Not exactly a Family History, but a time when life was lived at slower pace.

This photo fell out of my mothers many books and it swiftly took me back in time, I was really just a kid but at the time would not have felt that way. it was the year after I was discharged from service probably 1947-48 I had been married in the service and we had an apartment in Nelliston on West main street, big yard. the time was right after Xmas, we had bought our self a T.V but that will be another post- I will tell you the screen was 5 inches in a metal box about 3 1/2 foot square and we could only watch it a couple of hours each day. So this morning we got up Saturday, it had snowed all night so there was about 10 to 12 inches of new soft snow. By 9 in the morning we were out there in the yard to make a snow man, In the middle of winter ,we worked had enough that I ended up with no coat or hat, well we never did things half way, no carrots and buttons, this was to be the ultimate snow man. by afternoon we were working at it harder than if was a job. No man is complete without a spouse so we made a girl also.

We worked until dark when my Mom came to get us for supper we had to go someplace I forget were now so we changed our cloths and when we came out she had the camera. My wife is on the left side but so dark you can not see her.

thought the dog was interesting addition.

As I recall I woke up Sunday with very bad cold and was laid up several days with pneumonia
but we had a great display, in those days not many people decorated there yard as they do now,
the snow couple only lasted a couple of weeks but it was worth all the effort.

3 comments:

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

ok pop, I take that as a challenge! Well, after I get over this cold! They are adorable! Who would have thought to do that..well, you I guess!

Rosebud Collection said...

I have to tell you, that is the cutest snowpeople/dog I have ever seen..So glad you took the picture of it and shared it on your blog..

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

Hi Pop...just letting you know you won the triple award! Come by my blog to pick it up!