Friday, May 8, 2009

My Mom a Mother Day Memory

Mother Day, while I think about my mom almost every day, this period of time makes it even more important. She left a lot of "stuff" photos, papers, and some items I seldom go through. Last week I opened a small bundle of notes and among them was a folded add from a newspaper or add of some sort. An add for a bedroom suite, I know its about the only new item she ever bought. As a small boy I remember being in her bedroom and seeing this very bedroom set , I especially liked the dressing table with the mirror.
My mom, Mary Elizabeth Olyer, was born in 1904 in a lumber camp at Spring Cove, N. Y. her parents lived in Little Falls, N. Y on High Street, but her mother went home to her parents to have Mary. After her birth she lived in Little Falls until just before her 16th birth day, when she secretly got married, that lasted a few weeks until her parents found out and it was annulled. They packed up the family and moved to Nelliston, N. Y. and in a few moths she met my dad Edwin Lord.
He was working for his father as a mechanics helper in Knitting mill., So they decided to run away and get married abt 1922- off to Albany, N. Y. and from there to Delaware were my dad worked for a few months. His father owned a home at 12 Berthood Street in Nelliston, so he made it over to a duplex and my Mom and dad moved in. Now that seems like a great deal, but it must have been rough on her at times. My father and his mother were extremely close, his father was sick most of his life with T.B. and last three years confined to a bed which kept my dad at his mothers beck and call. While the duplex was great by the standards of the early 30's , nothing much was ever done to it. Mom worked at the Sack factory in Canajoharie 48 hours for a pay check of $6.30 week. It was with this money she was able to buy that bedroom set. She had that set until the 1960 when we bought Pine Lake Park and they bought a new trailer, were they lived until her death.

I wonder how many of us have bought a set of any kind of furniture and lived with it 36 years.
I never heard her complain but I am sure there must have been some depressing moments. We never had a lot but as a family I think we were content with what we had. She kept this add for all of those years, it must have met so much to her.
Guess my grandmother saying held true for all of us "use it up, make it do and you will never want for anything"

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Welcome back, Robert! I've missed your posts.